We bet that if you look into your bathroom’s medicine cabinet right now, you’d find a handful of unused, natural deodorants that claimed to get the job done, but fell short. We have an easy, natural DIY deodorant that will not only cost you much less, but will be even more effective than other “natural” deodorants you can buy in stores.
Here’s what you’ll need!
- 1/4 cup Melted Organic Coconut Oil
- 1/3 cup Organic Arrowroot Powder
- 1 tbsp Baking Soda
- 5 drops Tea Tree Bare Oils
- 5 drops Lavender Bare Oils
[Recipe makes one container - about 1.6 oz.]
What to do:
1) Bring a small pot of water to a simmer. Place a half-pint glass jar in the center of the pot and fill with Coconut Oil. Stir gently until melted.
2) Once melted, turn off the heat. Add Arrowroot Powder and Baking Soda and stir until completely smooth.
3) Mix in the Tea Tree and Lavender Bare Oils. Let cool.
4) Pour into an airtight container with lid and store in refrigerator to remain at a solid state (unless your home is typically below 76 degrees Fahrenheit).
5) To use, scrape out 1 tsp., rub between fingertips, and apply it directly under armpits, where it will melt and absorb into skin.*
6) Another option is to transfer the deodorant mixture to an old anti-perspirant tube for easy application.
*Just in case, wait a few minutes after applying deodorant to allow it to soak in thoroughly before getting dressed. This prevents any possibility for staining!
Here’s a breakdown of the benefits of each ingredient:
Organic Coconut Oil. An excellent moisturizer for skin with wonderful antibacterial properties.
Organic Arrowroot Powder. Serves as a thickener and helps draw out toxins.
Baking Soda. Kills bacteria that cause odors.
Tea Tree Bare Oils. Tea Tree’s antimicrobial properties help destroy the bacteria on your skin causing body odor.
Lavender Bare Oils. Contains additional healthy antioxidants and plant extracts to benefit skin, and provides a beautiful scent.
So, if you’ve wanted to try a more natural deodorant, but you didn’t know where to start, this is an excellent place! With such simple and few ingredients, it’s a no-brainer. And, you probably have some (if not all) of these laying around your house somewhere.