The No-Mess, All-Natural Solution to Flake-Free Hair and Shoulders
We’re pretty sure everyone’s fallen victim to dandruff at some point. The skin condition marked by flaking skin on your scalp can be itchy and uncomfortable - and not to mention, embarrassing.
Luckily, dandruff isn't contagious, permanent, or serious. But it can be difficult to treat without the proper products and patience. Many mainstream dandruff shampoos, conditioners, and treatments may seem to help initially, but they often just mask the underlying problem.
Witch hazel, as we discussed in our last post, is an excellent, 100% natural product that can help improve dandruff and the side effects that come along with it. And, it actually targets the source of the problem.
The most common cause of dandruff is irritated, oily skin. So, if you struggle with dandruff, consider witch hazel as your new bff. It will help moisturize your scalp, promote the healing of damaged skin, and naturally cut through grease and oil.
Below we have some tips that will help you say bye-bye to dandruff and keep it away.
Use: Twice per week before shampooing/conditioning hair
Before shampooing and conditioning, follow these steps to target the source of dandruff:
- Comb hair to detangle.
- Separate hair into small, workable sections and clip away any sections you are not working on.
- Starting from the nape and working your way up, apply witch hazel directly to your scalp using a large, clean cotton ball OR add it to a spray bottle and spritz on your scalp. Note: Be sure you move through each area of your scalp methodically to ensure you are reaching the entire scalp.
- Massage the witch hazel into your scalp where you applied it.
- Allow the product to sit for about 10 minutes.
- Shampoo your hair and rinse gently. Pssst: Our Bare Living Shampoo in Avalon Rain is the perfect choice if you’re looking for something that smells amazing and uses Bare Oils and botanicals to keep your hair nourished and balanced.
- For cleaning hair, combine 1 oz of witch hazel per 8 oz of shampoo to treat dandruff and keep it away.
- For detangling hair, use a light application of conditioner just on the tips of your hair. This will give you the softness where you need it most, but the roots of your hair will remain lightweight and oil-free.
- In-between treatments, to help your scalp keep oil production and dandruff at bay, mix one part witch hazel with ten parts of distilled water and combine in a spray bottle. Spritz along your part and hairline after you shower. The small amount of witch hazel results in a gentler formula, which is great for more sensitive scalps. This mixture also helps lift hair roots slightly for a fresh-looking ‘do all day.
Did you know? Peppermint essential oil is especially great for dandruff symptoms! It soothes, cools, calms an itchy scalp, and eliminates flakiness. Simply add four (4) drops of Peppermint Bare Oils to the spray bottle along with the distilled water and witch hazel. Don’t forget to shake well before using!