Making the Perfect Makeup Brush Cleanser Using Bare Living Products
Oh, makeup brushes … they’ve become major players in the cosmetics industry. Just like an artist chooses paintbrushes to paint his masterpieces, makeup fiends select makeup brushes to paint their masterpieces (on their faces, so to speak).
But when you really think about it, makeup brushes are used on skin - and skin is a breeding ground for numerous types of bacteria. Our skin oils, dirt from our hands, and toxins from our surroundings are major sources of bacteria. Add liquid or cream products where bacteria love to thrive (foundations, concealers, blushes, serums, etc.) and it clings to the bristles, creating a sticky, wet environment where it thrives. In fact, 72 percent of us DON’T clean our makeup brushes! Yuck.
A month-long study was conducted on bacteria in makeup brushes. One week’s use showed bacteria normal to what we could come in contact with on a daily basis. But after four weeks of use without being cleaned, the amount of bacteria on the brushes had skyrocketed to a point where it could not even be measured. Not only is this gross, but it can also cause side effects such as random breakouts, clogged pores, skin irritations, viral infections, and other [unpleasant] happenings.
Mainstream and top-brand makeup brush cleansers are either a) too expensive, b) unnatural and potentially toxic, or c) nothing much more than alcohol and water. Today we’re going to tell you how you can make your own makeup brush cleanser/shampoo using Bare Living products (and some other good stuff, too).
Our Bare Living Shampoo and Conditioner are formulated with organic Bare Oils and other botanicals with delicate fragrances that will nourish, balance, hydrate, and restore hair (or bristles) from root to tip. They’re also:
- Made from synthetic-free and plant-based ingredients.
- Free of harmful parabens, sulfates, and petroleum ingredients.
- Made using ZERO animal testing.
- 1 cup Distilled (or Bottled) Water
- ¼ cup Witch Hazel
- ½ tbsp Bare Living Shampoo - Avalon Rain
- ½ tbsp Bare Living Conditioner - Mediterranea
- ½ tbsp Bare Oils Fractionated Coconut Oil
- 1 Spray Bottle (or Mason Jar)
- Makeup Brush Sleeves (Optional)
- Add all ingredients (in the order listed) to spray bottle or mason jar and shake/stir to combine. This is your cleanser!
- Add cleanser to small dish.
- Take your brush and mix it into the cleanser for 1-2 minutes to lather.
- Rinse brush under faucet, pointing the tip of brush downward (try to avoid getting water into the brush ferrule, which can loosen glue and bristles).
- Rinse out remaining cleanser residue in brush, making sure water is clear when you squeeze the bristles (sign no makeup is remaining).
- Take your clean brush and dab excess water onto towel.
- Place brush sleeve over bristles on each brush (optional) or reshape with hand and place on towel, pointing the bristles on a downward angle.
- Wait until completely dry, and use!
We recommend doing this thorough cleaning process at least once a week. You can always spot clean in between cleaning sessions using witch hazel and/or alcohol. The brush sleeves, although optional, will fit brushes of all sizes and they’re helpful for maintaining the shape of the brush bristles - especially while drying.
Not only will this brush cleanser last you for months, but you can also use the shampoo and conditioner for other purposes, you’ll be saving money, AND you can feel great about the products that you’re using on your brushes/skin.
Goodbye bacteria-infested makeup brushes and mystery breakouts! Hello, Bare Living.